Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, January 4, 2010

The plan

Okay, so I thought it would be good to write down my plan to getting healthy. These are not set in stone and are definitely subject to change as I get moving forward, but it gives me somewhere to start.

  • Water. I have not been very good about drinking water lately. I'm not a big water drinker and it certainly is not my first pick for a beverage. My goal is to start by getting at least 4 glasses of plain old water a day. 
  • Exercise. I will be trying to get in 20-30 minutes of exercise at least 3 times a week, but hopefully 5 times. Some days will be cardio and some days will be yoga. My friend Mandi has been using Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (with amazing results,) which I have ordered and am going to be trying myself. I actually ordered this Biggest Loser 3-pack of exercise videos. I am pretty excited to try them all. I have used the Biggest Loser workout DVD in the past and I really liked it. I also have the new Your Shape for Wii as well as my Wii Fit that I will be using. I hope to use the Wii Fit in addition to the exercise videos. I find that I have to keep changing things up or I get bored and then when I get bored, I just quit.  
  • Sleep. I plan on trying really hard to be in bed by midnight every single night of the week. I have read that getting enough sleep will help you to lose weight. So, we will try. Plus, I am probably going to stay better motivated if I am not tired all the time.
  • Food. I have done so many weight loss programs in the past that it really is ridiculous. I can tell you most plans backwards and forwards. I am taking a different approach this time. I will not be dieting. I will not even be counting calories. I am just going to eat healthy. I will be eating more whole grains, more fruits & veggies and less refined/processed products and less sugar. I will not tell myself that I cannot have something because that makes me want it even more and to binge on it. Instead, I'm going to allow myself to have treats, but I will keep it to one serving size and I will not allow myself to feel guilty. I will be focusing on smaller portion sizes and reading labels to make sure that I am getting a true portion size.
  • Accountability. I will be weighing myself weekly and posting it here. I am also going to be calculating my BMI since my ultimate goal is to get healthy and not necessarily to lose weight (although, getting healthy tends to result in weight loss.) I will be taking a monthly picture of myself and posting it at the beginning of the month; this is going to be a very difficult thing for me because I have always been very self-conscious with very low self-esteem. However, I think being able to see visual results and differences will be quite motivating to me. I am also trying to keep to the 6 Month Challenge "rules" Traci has posted over on her blog.

I will be posting my story tomorrow along with my first pictures, my first weight in, and my first BMI calculation. I am starting to make small changes already today, but Wednesday is the day where it will all take full effect.

Who is with me?!?

5 comments:

sarah said...

Good for you missy! nothing is harder than losing weight and people that don't struggle just don't get it! I have been doing the Shred since the first of December and I could barely move the first week!! I took last week off because Joe was off, but now back to th grind! Finding the time and balancing everything is just soo hard!

Jen said...

I am definitely going to be doing a lot of these things, too - thanks for the ideas, Missy! I need to go get my 30 Day Shred and hopefully now that we have the Wii, I'll soon be able to get the Wii Fit to use as well.

Water is a big one with me, too - I actually like drinking water, but for some reason I've replaced it with other things lately--so I need to work on getting back to more water! I need to find a good water bottle I can take with me so I make sure I'm doing this all the time & can see how much I'm drinking!

Amanda said...

Me! I won't be blogging about it, but getting healthy is my primary resolution. Eating right and being active. I'd love to lose weight too, but I know that if I make inches and pounds the focus it can quickly spiral into a not so great experience.
The water goal is a good one - I need to work on that too! I also re-started the Shred today...I bought it back in May and did it for a week (really loving it) but then finals hit, I stopped, and never started again ::sigh::
Good luck to you! :)

Heather said...

I would do it, but for now it will have to wait until after the baby is born. :) Perhaps I will join you in April or late March! I will keep this bookmarked and pray that you will be encouraged in this process. It is a hard one, but with God's strength you can do it! I like your goal with the food...the extreme all or nothing approach is a sure fire way to fail, so taking it in smaller steps is a much better way!

Best of luck!

Blessings,
Heather

Amy said...

Hi Missy!!! Just wanted to stop by and tell you how wonderful it is to meet you! Will be praying for you as you start your journey to healthy :)

Hugs... Amy